A desktop app that automatically removes silence from videos.
- I've shelved this project (for now) and am currently working on another startup idea.
- Follow me on Twitter for more updates and dank memes 👀
Image (for those who just want a quick glimpse)
npm install npm run electron:serve
Why Make AtomicEdits?
In 2020, I quit my tech job to pursue creating content on YouTube full-time.
The biggest problem I had with making videos was editing/removing silence from them.
(For reference, it takes 1-2 hours to edit 10 minutes of video.) I put aside 2-3 weeks in June to learn video
editing technologies (WaveSurfer.js + FFmpeg) and make a proof of concept - this is the result.
It's really rough around the edges, but saves me some time while editing.
Why Open Source My Product?
I was originally planning on selling this as a digital product (for $10-20) since I haven't made much money
after leaving my tech job, but I found another idea worth pursuing. I haven't touched this project in a month
and figured that open sourcing it can help others who may want to take this further.
- Automatically detect silence in the video
- Generate silent regions based on length and loudness
- Remove detected silent regions on export
- Add/remove padding to silent regions
- Font Awesome (icons)
- Tailwind CSS (core UI)
- Electron.js (desktop app)
- WaveSurfer.js (audio wave display)
- Fluent FFmpeg (export edited video)
- Hotkeys (keyboard shortcuts)